RE: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out?

To:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Subject:     RE: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out?
From:     Ross Stapleton-Gray <director@embassy.org>
Date:     Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:41:37 -0400 (EDT)
cc:     "'ad-market@netpreneur.org'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Mitch Arnowitz wrote:

> One alternative to an opt-in policy is opt-out email- in which one
> has to proactively tell you they don't want email. This process is
> also known as negative option marketing and is used by lots of
> successful off-line direct response marketers.

Pardon my paranoia, but my first reaction to seeing a "please reply and
we'll take you off our list" message on spam is to suspect that if I
respond, I'll be put on a list of "known E-mail accounts that have a live
human behind them."  I suspect as much veracity here as I do upon seeing
"not MLM!" and "you'll make $200,000 this year!"

Ross
Ross Stapleton-Gray                     TeleDiplomacy, Inc.
director@embassy.org                    2503 Columbia Pike, Suite 118
Director, Electronic Embassy Program    Arlington VA 22204
http://www.embassy.org                  +1 703 685-5197 / 5257 fax