AM: Direct sales vs. branding

To:     "'ad-market@netpreneur.org'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Direct sales vs. branding
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:14:50 -0400

All:

An interesting comment and site follows on business-business
web sales vs. marketing. As the outlook for the ad model is
questionable, I'm wondering if anyone in the group has a
business-business direct response sucess story to share.

I've been told lately that the only companies "making money"
transactionally are business-business direct marketers. Agree?

Using the Net: Direct sales vs. branding
By Mollie Neal and Kate Maddox
taken from: http://www.netb2b.com

PROBLEMATIC PROPOSITION

Lucent Technologies is splitting Web ad money between branding and
direct sales campaigns, says Kent Miller, corporate advertising director
for Lucent. But brand-building remains a problematic proposition.

"Part of the difficulty is that we don't have a good feeling for how
effective [Web advertising] has been," Mr. Miller says. While Lucent has
placed banner ads on some business technology publication sites to create
brand awareness, it is spearheading some new direct sales campaigns that
are specific to certain areas of the company, such as Bell Labs.

These companies' plans echo the intentions of a handful of high-tech Web
advertisers contacted by Business Marketing, all of whom said driving
direct response sales is the most important goal of their Web advertising
efforts.

Copyright June 1997, Crain Communications