Re: AM: regional banner buy

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: regional banner buy
From:     "Chris Bertchie" <chrisb@townhall.com>
Date:     Tue, 8 Jul 1997 18:14:15 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <chrisb@seldy.townhall.com>

The talk these days is far more appealing than the walk when it comes
to targeting - especially geographically or psychographically.  A lot
of sites talk about targeting, but the reality is a little less
sophisticated.   As far as I (or our technical staff) know, a site
can only target to a geographic base in one of two ways:

 1) register users, or

 2) target by ISP (there are currently about 3000 of them across the
country, although this is changing as regional ISPs get bought up by
national or international communications networks).  Most of them
serve a particular geographic area, such as "MidAtlantic", etc.

Of course, some sites appeal to a specific geographic area - and for
that reason, CityGuide or DigitalCities might hold appeal.  Or
contact some of the larger rep firms - you;ll find them listed at
< http://www.ca-probate.com/comm_net.htm#_brokers >

> Date: Monday, 07-Jul-97 05:08 PM
>
> From: Mitch Arnowitz           \ Internet:    (marnowitz@morino.org)
> From: Mitch Arnowitz           \ Internet:    (marnowitz@morino.org)
> To:   "'ad-market@netpreneur.org'" \ Internet:    (ad-market@netpreneur.org)
>
> Subject: AM: regional banner buy
>
> I am potentially interested in targeting a regional audience for the Netpreneur
> Program. If I include banner ads in my plan, I will be searching for relevant,
> high trafficked local sites, sites that reach a local audience, or services
> that  target local sites.
>
> I'm not worried yet about sectors, .com vs. .org, cost/cpm, click throughs,
> etc.  As a start, I am trying to determine if others in the group have faced a
> similar  need and the services or companies they have used for regional
> targeting.
>
> Does anyone know if services such as Doubleclick or Link Exchange provides
> geographic targeting? Has anyone spoken with New Century Network's  NewsWorks
> or other newspaper networks about a targeted banner buy yet?
>
> Does anyone have banner experience (including results) with local content
> guides (e.g.: Digital Cities, CitySearch)? Has anyone worked with telcos or
> yellow/white page directories for a regional buy (e.g.: Bigbook)?
>
> BTW, my banner need or objective here is branding & advertising, not  direct
> sales. Also, I can ID popular, relevant, regional sites and search  engines- I
> was searching for a service, network or company that  bundles these sites.
> Please respond to this post via the list at: ad-market@netpreneur.org
>
> Thanks!-
>
> Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
> Business Development