AM: BarnesandNoble- an opposing view

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: BarnesandNoble- an opposing view
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:37:51 -0400

Folks-

Chris Bertchie, of Town Hall, Inc. <http://wwww.townhall.com>
sent in the following note. I thought Chris's comments were
worth putting out to the entire group. In case you missed it,
the original post is also included here. Thoughts?

** Please address your comments to the list @
ad-market@netpreneur.org

Thanks-
Mitch

Chris writes:

Over 10 years of print advertising sales experience made me a firm
believer in the value of editorial integrity. If readers/users trust
the "editorial" on a site or in a publication, then they are
perceiving the advertisers in a positive light.  And if the
advertising targets the site's users, the response should be enhanced
by the trusted editorial environment.

I can't, however, agree with Mr. Arlen.  If a book review is linked
to the opportunity to buy the book, it is an extra service to the
reader - a service not available to print media.  If books illustrate
a story, or supplement coverage of an issue, or compliment a subject,
and links to such books are provided, it is a service to the reader.
Because the web is a self-select medium, the reader doesn't have to
choose to look at the selection.

That sites can generate revenue to support their content by "leasing
space" to B&N or Amazon.com is a good thing, in my opinion, and
doesn't taint their editorial integrity.  It isn't the same as a
product review sold as advertising and presented as editorial:  the
site isn't lending an expert editorial opinion to a buying decision
in exchange for payment.

Any comments?

Chris Bertchie, Advertising Director
TOWN HALL (townhall.com)