AM: more Barnes & Noble talk

To:     "'ad-market@netpreneur.org'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: more Barnes & Noble talk
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:37:58 -0400

On Barnes and Noble, Chris Bertchie <townhall.com> continued:

> I don't see the problem with the bookstore concept, but I'm appalled
> by the blurring (no, make that obliteration) of the line between editorial
> and advertising on some sites.  For example, Sara Dirks, the editor
> of Dental Bytes, states that part of their success as an advertising-
> supported site (is that) "Instead of banners, we do what we call a
> "third party promo". If you take a look at Dental Bytes, it's hard to
> figure out where the ads are ...yet 25% of the hyperlinks are

> Chris Bertchie, Advertising Director
> TOWN HALL (townhall.com)
> 214 Massachusetts Avenue, N.E.
> Washington, DC  20002
> Phone: 202-608-6019  Fax: 202-544-7330
> Email:  chrisb@townhall.com

> The democratic process gets wired at townhall.com!

Chris-

To me, there are worlds of difference between a NY Times or CNN
(announced B/N partners) and dentalbytes.com (value, branding...).
IMHO dentalbytes.com offers little value. I wouldn't call what dentalbytes
.com does an objective product review, but rather a sell or collateral piece
for sponsoring companies. Advertising or sponsorship isn't part of the site,
it is the site.

I do agree there is value in the B/N program. We all know one of the areas
of promise and profitability here is commerce. Allowing targeted consumers
to transact at a fraction of the cost has "always" been a point of difference
& holds much hope for marketers. Integrity here is tied to the presentation.
Thoughts anyone?

Mitch Arnowitz marnowitz@morino.org      Advertising/Marketing Discussion Group
Business Development 			  http://netpreneur.org/connect/am
PKW Netpreneur Program 	               v 703.620.8971
http://netpreneur.org                                   f 703.620.4102