Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.

To:     "Adv/Mktg" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.
From:     "Michael O'Horo" <slscoach@erols.com>
Date:     Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:05:17 -0500

I don't know if there's much practical difference between "opt in" and "opt out," but I've received some messages that I call "opt out" that say, in effect, "we're going to send things periodically, but if you don't want us to, reply with 'unsubscribe' in the message."  I like this for two reasons:  1) I think it's prudent to take at least a quick look at different offerings, if only to stay abreast.  This is a dynamic industry and market.  Some of the stuff could be important.  You might also pick up something useful in the way it is packaged, positioned and sold; 2) If all I have to do to shut it off is click reply and type unsubscribe, that's not a big deal in exchange for the potential value of #1.

As a marketer and salesman, I like the "opt out" approach because the default, doing nothing, favors the marketer.  Whenever possible, you want the burden of action to favor you.

Of course, if I start receiving 100 or so of these "opt outs" per day, my opinion of the innocuousness of the Unsubscribe exit task may change pretty radically.  Then my challenge will be to contain the understandable murderous impulses that could result in changing my address to something like mike@prison.life .

Mike O'Horo
The Sales Coach
703-516-4448 voice
703-516-4449 fax