Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.

To:     "Adv/Mktg" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.
From:     "Daniel F. Savarese" <dfs@oroinc.com>
Date:     Fri, 07 Nov 1997 12:37:38 -0500

>As a marketer and salesman, I like the "opt out" approach because the
>default, doing nothing, favors the marketer.  Whenever possible, you
>want the burden of action to favor you.

Sure, as a marketer and salesman, you're going to like the "opt out"
approach.  But from the client perspecitve "opt out" sucks big time.
See below.

>Of course, if I start receiving 100 or so of these "opt outs" per day,
>my opinion of the innocuousness of the Unsubscribe exit task may change
>pretty radically.  Then my challenge will be to contain the

The problem is that many of us in fact do receive an unmanageable number
of "opt outs," maybe not 100 a day, but even one every day is a major pain
in the butt.  After being flooded with so many "opt out" messages from
different businesses, people become less receptive and even potentially
hostile to those businesses.  This is especially the case with
business-oriented products.  I will not do business with anyone who engages
in hostile marketing.  Today hostile marketing includes "opt out" email
advertising because of the level of abuse that has been exercised by
so-called spammers.  There's a fine line between "opt out" and "opt in"
email, but in general, people I know regard "opt out" email as hostile
and "opt in" email as acceptable although perhaps mildly annoying.

daniel

orororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororo
Daniel F. Savarese       voice: (410) 309-9640        email: dfs@oroinc.com
ORO, Inc.  "Component software for the Internet."tm  http://www.oroinc.com/
orororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororororo