Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.

To:     "Michael O'Horo" <slscoach@erols.com>
Subject:     Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.
From:     Neil Harris <neil@simutronics.com>
Date:     Fri, 07 Nov 1997 12:58:46 -0500
CC:     Adv/Mktg <ad-market@netpreneur.org>

We have a list of over 300,000 people who have played our games.  When
we mail to them, we take the opt out philosophy -- we have the right to
email to them because they are customers, but we let them opt out.  And
we also only send them mail once a month or so.

However, we also rent the list to other companies, and here we take the
opt in approach.  Only the customers who have opted to receive mail from
other companies from time to time will get mail when we rent the list.
In fact, most companies who rent a list vastly prefer this.  It's less
antagonistic to the audience.

-->Neil