Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.

To:     "Adv/Mktg" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>, "Daniel F. Savarese" <dfs@oroinc.com>
Subject:     Re: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.
From:     "Michael O'Horo" <slscoach@erols.com>
Date:     Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:35:32 -0500

I agree with you that the threshhold of pain is what distinguishes the
acceptable from the heinous, but isn't the time it takes to read and decide
what constitutes the real penalty?  The opt out/opt in component follows the
open-and-read part.  Your correct concern about the volume of unwanted email
is universal.  The problem seems to lie more in the marketer's usurping the
receiver's download wait time and perusal time and less in the incremental
burden of a response.  But I accept that any minor increment  multiplied
enough can create a critical mass.

At its core, email marketing seems to be cold call telemarketing by whatever
label.  It merely substitutes a newer intrusive interface device at the end
of the telephone line.  So it would seem that the challenge of email
marketers is balancing their need to make initial contact with prospects
against prospects' historical repulsion by cold calls, whether voice or
electronic.