Fw: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.

To:     "ad-market" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Fw: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out? An argument for opt out.
From:     "Mitch Arnowitz" <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:13:08 -0500

Daniel said:

>The problem is that many of us in fact do receive an unmanageable number
>of "opt outs," maybe not 100 a day, but even one every day is a major pain
>in the butt.  After being flooded with so many "opt out" messages from
>different businesses, people become less receptive and even potentially
>hostile to those businesses.  This is especially the case with
>business-oriented products.  I will not do business with anyone who engages
>in hostile marketing.

>Today hostile marketing includes "opt out" email advertising because of the level
>of abuse that has been exercised by o-called spammers.  There's a fine line
>between "opt out" and "opt in" email, but in general, people I know regard
>"opt out" email as hostile and "opt in" email as acceptable although perhaps mildly
>annoying.

Daniel brings up a good point about the difference between *opt-in* and
*opt-out* email. Is there a difference to the end user or customer? Post
Master Direct <  http://www.postmasterdirect.com/  > provides a solid
service through opt-in email lists. I wonder if this company gets lost in the
noise.

On the other hand, CUC, one of  AOL's largest advertisers (& also a
company that recently got flack over the plan to telemarket AOL
customers) has a successful off-line business built on negative option or
opt-out marketing. Emailers see the success of traditional, off-line
marketers & try to duplicate their efforts.

IMHO, they just don't get it- that online models are different, even for
email-
Mitch Arnowitz marnowitz@morino.org         Advertising/Marketing Discussion Group
Business Development                                http://netpreneur.org/connect/am
PKW Netpreneur Program                           v 703.620.8971
http://netpreneur.org                                    f 703.620.4102