AM: Re: Looking for B-to-B commission based advertising programs

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Re: Looking for B-to-B commission based advertising programs
From:     Gary LaFever <garylafever@ibm.net>
Date:     Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:09:07 -0800

Paul, you might want to consider a slightly different approach to
accompish your objective.  To the extent our situations are analogous, I
wanted to offer as an alternative the approach we took at Women's
Connection Online.  Other than our arrangement with Barnes & Noble
(which is a "cookie cutter" affiliate relationship)), each of our
business partner referral programs was independentlt negotiated.  Our
team first determined what type of products/services would be useful to
our audience and only then started to assess different vendors who could
fill that need.  Once a vendor was identified, we called their corporate
headquarters and asked for their VP of Business Development.  Usually,
we either got through to him/her, got voicemail or an email address to
contact.  In each instance, the "pitch" was that we would like to referr
customers to them and only get paid upon actual purchase.  Of course you
still have to negotiate the commission (our range from 3% to 25%) and a
tracking mechanism (ours range from mirror sites with dedicated 800
numbers established by the vendor partners to a comment box on the order
form in which our referral customers insert "WCO" in order to get a
small discount).  This appraoch is more time consuming then looking for
established programs but you end up with an offering that reflects your
market's requirements vs. whatever programs happen to have been
established by whatever vendors.  Just some thoughts! Best of Luck!
--
Gary LaFever, Sr. VP
Women's Connection Online, Inc.