Re: AM: Value of user demographics?

To:     "Fleck" <fleck@morino.org>, <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: Value of user demographics?
From:     "Andrew Forbes" <andrew.forbes@redbridge.com>
Date:     Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:16:29 -0500

Fleck:

You said:

>The only accurate way to capture demographic info from an
>individual user is to have them register (either directly on the
>site or through a network like firefly).

I must respectfully disagree.  There are ways to ascertain the
demographics behind the IP address, but as I'm yet unfunded
I have no desire to discuss them here.

If you want to know what my plans are, I'd be happy to explain
them offline.

So, for the moment, assuming that I could provide you, in a
fashion that is accurate and auditable, the demographics
behind the IP addresses visiting your site, what is it worth?

One concession to your point:  I will not be able to provide
the demographics behind all of your site visitors, but the
hope is that the number I can convert will provide you with
the ability to do statistically significent analysis of the
demographics of your visitors e.g. television or radio
style market segment/daypart reports.

Andy Forbes