Re: AM: Value of user demographics, Part 2

To:     Andrew Forbes <andrew.forbes@redbridge.com>
Subject:     Re: AM: Value of user demographics, Part 2
From:     Ross Stapleton-Gray <director@embassy.org>
Date:     Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:12:23 -0500 (EST)
cc:     Adv/Mktg <ad-market@netpreneur.org>

More specifically to the point, any business plan re brokering user data
would acknowledge OPS; from the W3C site:

   The Open Profiling Standard (OPS) is co-authored by Netscape, Firefly,
   and VeriSign and was submitted to the W3C as part of the P3P project.
   This specification proposes a means for the exchange of user profile
   information -- how to store and release, under the user's permission,
   data which is often requested or required by a Web service.

Give them a few more weeks among the knives of the NASDAQ and you won't
have to worry about Netscape, but Firefly and VeriSign are, relatively
speaking, very big standards-setting players in the business you're
wanting to be in.

NB that success of the OPS would provide users with far more protection of
privacy than Web sites or ISPs would, if they had their druthers, grant
them, but seems likely to be a default... even with an "opt in" bias to
the world, there will still be a lot of customers revealing preferences
and identity, just like my wife & I are preparing to fork over our
shopping practices to Whole Foods and their suppliers for our paltry
discount.

Ross
Ross Stapleton-Gray                     TeleDiplomacy, Inc.
director@embassy.org                    2503 Columbia Pike, Suite 118
Director, Electronic Embassy Program    Arlington VA 22204
http://www.embassy.org                  +1 703 685-5197 / 5257 fax