RE: AM: Value of user demographics, Part 2

To:     "'Ross Stapleton-Gray'" <director@embassy.org>
Subject:     RE: AM: Value of user demographics, Part 2
From:     Andrew Forbes <andrew.forbes@redbridge.com>
Date:     Fri, 9 Jan 1998 16:00:13 -0500
Cc:     Adv/Mktg <ad-market@netpreneur.org>

Ross:

The main issue with OPS, as I understand it, is that it leaves
users in the provide/no provide loop.  What I'm talking about
completely bypasses users.

If the industry goes to an ISP direct to marketer approach
(bypassing users) for the conversion of IP to demographics,
I'd assume that ISPs will offer "base" Internet accounts that
are subsidized by demographic sales, and "premium" accounts
that are not.  In other words, the eventual beneficiary of the
sales of the demographic information will be the consumers
that choose the subsidized service.

You are considering letting Whole Foods act as an "agent"
for the resale of your food purchase preferences in exchange
for a small discount; would you consider letting your ISP
resell your demographics in exchange for a discount?

Andy Forbes