RE: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out?

To:     ad-market
Subject:     RE: AM: email marketing; opt-in or out?
From:     dadi@emaginet.com
Date:     Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:28:23 -0500

There are a few companies that are already working on similar models
that could serve as examples for Andrew Forbes.  Imgis (the ad serving
co.) has hooked up with Metromail (the major database marketing co.) and
few ISP's, such as GTE.  In this way, as a surfer clicks on a site the
idea is to match his/her profile (which the ISP knows) with a Metromail
database and figure out the person's detailed demographics, for Imgis to
serve a targeted ad.  Andrew can find specific pricing info from Imgis.

Another company, Matchlogic, based outside Denver, CO. has a remote ad
serving model, which serves up targeted ads (modifying background, text,
content, etc.) based on identity of surfer, which presumably Matchlogic
has gathered.  For their base ad serving program, Matchlogic charges, I
believe, an additional $3-$5 CPM.  Prices increase based on level of
targeting.

However, two points to keep in mind are as follows: 1) With all the ad
targeting possibilities proposed, most advertisers are primarily placing
their banners based on site content (versus individual targeting).  And,
more importantly, 2) consumer privacy is of utmost importance to Web
users, and will be an even bigger issue down the road.

Hope this helps.

Dadi Akhavan
Executive Vice President
Emaginet, Inc.