AM: Re: Value of user demographics, Part 2- privacy

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Re: Value of user demographics, Part 2- privacy
From:     "Mitch Arnowitz" <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Sat, 17 Jan 1998 13:48:42 -0500
Cc:     <allen@relevantknowledge.com>, <andrew.forbes@redbridge.com>

Allen Goldberg said:

<s>
> let's not forget about the lessons we learn from AOL.  every time AOL
> talks about selling lists or targeted marketing to its subscribers using
> different triggers there is a great hue and cry about privacy and
> confidentiality.

Allen, et al-

You and others raise good points on the privacy issue surrounding
collection of consumer /user information. This is, for sure, an important
and interesting topic to any net business plan. My take here:

As I recall (disclaimer as I haven't reread the thread) Andrew's technology
would enable sites to collect demographics for campaign targeting. The site
*could* turn around & sell collected information, but that assumes he/she
has critical mass- something that alludes only the most popular sites.

In AOL's case, they wanted marketing partners to telemarket customer
base with additional product & offers. The issue wasn't that CUC would
be able to better serve me a travel adv., based on my usage & experience,
but AOL would have CUC's telemarketers call me & try to upsell additional
memberships.

Imgis is currently working with Metromail to match customer profile against
demographics. I believe one of Doubleclick's biggest selling points is the
ability to effectively target users (now if Doulbeclick sells collected
information to a client of their growing direct marketing division, well thats
another story).

With the advent of net direct marketing, better targeting technologies will
evolve. I (re) raise the privacy issue because, IMHO, part of the business
model (for Andrew's plan, as an example) will deal with technology
/marketing and a big part will talk to privacy concerns.

Allen, Welcome aboard!

Mitch Arnowitz
mailto:marnowitz@morino.org
Business Development