AM: Should non-profits solicit donations through banner ads?

To:     ad-market
Subject:     AM: Should non-profits solicit donations through banner ads?
From:     robbin@zeff.com
Date:     Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:10:31 -0500

I want to start a thread looking at the play for nonprofits in the online
advertising arena.  In September, United Cerebral Palsy and First Virtual
launched the first banner ad that could process donations directly through
the banner using First Virtual's Vtag technology.

And last month the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) http://www.iab.net
(the Internet advertising industry association) launched a partnership with
the Ad Council to support Public Service Announcement (PSA) banner ads
on IAB member sites.  I think nonprofits can do a lot with online PSAs both
to inform the public about their programs as well as solicit donations.

**How do people feel about banner ads being used to solicit donations for
nonprofits?  Do you think the online community will respond favorably to
this strategy?

If you want to jump into this debate with both feet, you might want to
check out an upcoming conference "Nonprofits Online '98" which will take
place at the Crystal City Marriott on January 30th  The conference program
is available at http://conference.pj.org

Robbin

Robbin Zeff              robbin@zeff.com
Check out our best selling publications