Re: AM: Should non-profits solicit donations through banner ads?

To:     robbin@zeff.com
Subject:     Re: AM: Should non-profits solicit donations through banner ads?
From:     Ross Stapleton-Gray <director@embassy.org>
Date:     Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:31:32 -0500 (EST)
cc:     ad-marketing@netpreneur.org

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998 robbin@zeff.com wrote:

> **How do people feel about banner ads being used to solicit donations for
> nonprofits?  Do you think the online community will respond favorably to
> this strategy?

I can't see any reason for such advertising to receive less favor than
"buy my soap" commercial advertising.  You'd see an unfavorable reaction
the day Goodwill or Whitman-Walker start E-mail spamming; banner ads are
no different than billboards or newspaper ads, and certainly the NPOs have
been in that business for a long, long time.

My wife works at a non-profit which received grant funding for a study
*and* its marketing, and they're looking at every medium, to include Web
banners, to get the word out.  One of the most interesting PSAs I've seen
thus far was a Web banner ad for the UN (!) on the landmine issue.  (You
can see it at: http://www.embassy.org/mines_01.gif)

Ross
Ross Stapleton-Gray                     TeleDiplomacy, Inc.
director@embassy.org                    2503 Columbia Pike, Suite 118
Director, Electronic Embassy Program    Arlington VA 22204
http://www.embassy.org                  +1 703 685-5197 / 5257 fax