AM: What could a sponsored channel on FedCast/PointCast go for?

To:     ad-market
Subject:     AM: What could a sponsored channel on FedCast/PointCast go for?
From:     jscamp@btg.com
Date:     Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:48:00 -0500

We are re-evaluating the positioning of FedCast, the
federal push version of PointCast developed by
BTG.  To date, we have eight channels broadcasting
through the Internet.  The service may be accessed
by downloading the Government Insider file from
http://www.fedcast.com/download.htm (the client
application and news service are free-there are
no costs whatsoever for users).

The animated advertising window (appears in the
upper right corner) is handled by PointCast.  We
launched within six of our federal channels a
selection called MarketPlace, which permits html
informercials, announcements, etc. types of
advertising and marketing communications.

Initially, we thought about selling slots within each
MarketPlace-a slot being one html article-on a
monthly basis.  But now I am thinking sponsorships
for each of the channels may be more attractive.

We could brand each channel (e.g., the Defense
Channel, sponsored by TRW) and allow the
sponsors to populate their respective MarketPlace
with as many articles as desired, refreshed weekly.

Users would be able to access each sponsor by a
branded hot-link button (located on the side vertical
bar) for every selection within their respective channel,
whether they chose to view MarketPlace or not.  This
may be hard to visualize without viewing the application,
because it does not involve your typical banner or
badge ads.

We now have about 35,000 registered users; the
overall viewership should double within a couple of
months.

**What could a sponsored channel go for...?
I'd want at a least six month commitment from
sponsors because of the time and expense in
engineering a branded look.

I can measure the number of times a channel is
updated monthly by users and, of course, click-
throughs should be easily captured by the sponsors
(advertisers).

Thanks!

James Scampavia
FedCast Marketing