AM: Guerilla Marketing du jour

To:     "ad-market@netpreneur.org" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Guerilla Marketing du jour
From:     Ross Stapleton-Gray <director@embassy.org>
Date:     Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:23:40 -0500 (EST)
cc:     netpreneurs@netpreneur.org

A wonderful example of carpe diem in the marketing business: I tried a
query of "Monica Lewinsky" on HotBot, and the first hit listed (with 99%
relevance) was to:

 Monica Lewinsky, please use CityAuction - Auction Classifieds
             CityAuction is the place to buy and sell anywhere
             in the world. Products include computers,
             collectibles, and furniture. The seller sets the
             minimum bid and the length of the auction.
             Saves you time by automating the negotiation and
             follow-up pro
             http://www.cityauction.com/lewinsky.asp, 3635 bytes, 23Jan98

The page itself is a rather clever, puckish marketing spiel ("We
understand that life is going to be pretty hectic for you now, so you'll
need to conserve as much time as possible...").  Very cute!

I'll keep my eye out for such things in future... "Mr. Starr, moving that
mountain of subpoenaed evidence could be a chore, but were you aware that
U.S. trucks log more than 30 billion miles empty every year?"

Ross
Ross Stapleton-Gray                     TeleDiplomacy, Inc.
director@embassy.org                    2503 Columbia Pike, Suite 118
Director, Electronic Embassy Program    Arlington VA 22204
http://www.embassy.org                  +1 703 685-5197 / 5257 fax