AM: Re: FW: What could a sponsored channel on FedCast/PointCast go for?

To:     ad-marketing@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Re: FW: What could a sponsored channel on FedCast/PointCast go for?
From:     Bridget Robey <brobey@perproject.com>
Date:     Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:59:11 -0500 (EST)

James,

Sorry for the delay in responding--

I've been interested in FedCast since its inception so it's interesting to
follow, however distantly, it's "growing pains."

In addition to my own experience, much of what I have read in the trade
press over the past 6 months HIGHLY supports Sponsorships over "traditional
web-based Advertising."  So I say GO FOR IT!

Simply put, you are asking companies to make a commitment to this
"community" (i.e., FedCast) which extend--potentially--far beyond your
typical banner ad.  As an advertiser, they are going to be much more
focused on hits/impressions/and the like VERSUS, as a sponsor where there
is an implied mutual interest and goal.  I.E., you're in it together.  And
in your particular case, what a niche market!

Advertisers are more geared to "instant gratification" (i.e., server
reports) versus a sponsor's longer term commitment to a shared goal or
objective.  And it appears to be "okay" to have Site Sponsors also be your
content partners whereas in traditional media, take a newspaper for
example, there's a definite "line" between editorial and advertising.
Funny this Internet thing.

I agree overall with Christy Kochan's pricing recommendation (Washington
Times Online) and think it's a good place to start.  However, you are
serving a unique and very targeted audience which could serve as a "plus"
in posting higher rates. (not to mention the majority of potential
corporate sponsors--defense and aerospace companies, for example--have deep
pockets.  And YOU can get them in front of the same audience they have
"rules" against soliciting directly in many cases. )

Give them a good deal.  Start with Christy's number for a "limited time
only," i.e., an introductory offer with an added incentive to renew at
reduced rates over the next guy.  I think you can create both a demand and
a waiting list while providing valuable content and resources to a niche
community!

Hope this helps.

Bridget Robey
President, American Marketing Association, Washington D.C. Chapter