AM: Marketing Challenge #3; The Informatics Institute wants to grow it's Washington business

To:     "'marketing/advertising discussion group'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Marketing Challenge #3; The Informatics Institute wants to grow it's Washington business
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Wed, 11 Feb 1998 19:00:44 -0500

Folks-

John Redmond, a newcomer to our group has asked for our help. John
is part of The Informatics Institute in Bethesda. The Institute's business
has a net-centric focus (more below), many of John's customers are
currently online. John wants to use the Internet to help grow his Washington
business.

Following you will find:

* brief background on The Informatics Institute
* The Institute's *Marketing Challenges*

For this challenge, we'll change the rules by asking you to post responses
directly to the group at: ad-market@netpreneur.org. This way we can work
through the challenge together, there is value for all of us here. When we
are done, John will come back to the group & summarize responses.

Do you have a MARKETING CHALLENGE for our group of smart
WDC Internet advertising & marketing minds? Send it to:
marnowitz@morino.org . We'll get it out to the group & see if we can
help out-

Thanks!

Mitch

about the Institute:

The Informatics Institute is a net-centric, clinical information
services company.  We are engaged in helping health care
organizations plan and implement internet-standards based technologies.
Our major focus is in training health care professionals in concepts and
methodologies and motivating organizations to embrace standards in
networking and in the definition and collection of clinical data.

The Informatics Institute offers the following services:
1 Classes/training
2 Data warehousing
3 IT strategy and implementation consulting

The Institute conducts classes in cities across the country
for health care professionals to train them in applied information
technology (informatics). Class titles include "Introduction to
Informatics," and "Informatics for Profiling Physicians". Our
classes are hands-on and include Internet use. Classes have
high satisfaction scores and we get good word-of-mouth.

We also have contracts to provide classes at major health care
organizations across the country.  After we have made the
corporate sale, there is an ongoing marketing job, largely handled
by the client organization, to promote and fill the classes.

The Informatics Institute has a state-of-the-art training facility
located in Bethesda, MD, with computers and a frame-relay
connection to the Internet. This local facility is under-utilized.

Most of our Bethesda students come from a single hospital in Virginia
which has a long-term contract with us to train their employees and
staff.  Efforts to contract with other area hospitals to provide
training are progressing slowly.  They are inclined to have us provide
classes at their locations, rather than their people making the (short)
trip to Bethesda.

The Institute is well known throughout the country, but not here
in Washington. * We now want to build our Washington, DC
business. Driving this local marketing effort is the new training
facility in Bethesda. * We want to use the facility for local Informatics
training.

Given our services and focus, it is logical that part of our marketing
efforts be tied to the Internet. BTW, we are also working on our
web-site http://tii.ruffin.com and will begin to use it as a marketing tool.

marketing challenges:

How do we effectively use the Internet and offline marketing tools to:

1. market our services to, build relationships and get additional clients
from among Washington area health care organizations (our objective
is to fill our facility).

2. broaden the base of "retail" business we have.  Lots of health care
professionals work outside of large organizational settings.  We've
tried advertising in journals, direct mail, direct fax, direct response
and radio, without great success.  Word-of-mouth is what generates
most of our "retail" business.

Some have told me that email as a marketing and communications
tool makes sense for my needs. Does anyone have Washington
sucess stories, experiences to share in this area? Please reply to the
group at: ad-market@netpreneur.org

Thanks!

John A. Redmond
The Informatics Institute