AM: Re:Marketing Challenge #3

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Re:Marketing Challenge #3
From:     "David J. Simonetti" <djs@projix.com>
Date:     Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:58:49 -0500

John,

Word of mouth is one of the best kinds of marketing, but you have to ensure
that those mouths are talking into the right ears.  In terms of the
organizational level, you should first find out (if you don't already know)
who the decision maker for these types of services is. What do they read,
listen to, watch, or visit on a regular basis?  Find out and develop a
presence in those media.

At the retail level, I will assume that you're targeting health
professionals which, to the greater extent, are not doctors.  They would be
nurses, physical and occupational therapists, etc.  If this is correct, any
journal advertising efforts will likely fail, because the majority of these
professionals don't read them.  Furthermore, this group is highly ignorant
of marketing materials, so direct mail is as well wasted on them.  While I
am currently ignorant of what they *do* pay attention to, a competent
marketing research firm or some efforts in that area on your own could
provide you with some good data to go on.  My guess is that People Magazine
is at the top of the
list , but that is based solely on personal experience.

Once you have this data, you should collect some of that word of mouth into
quotable quotes, put it down in some coherent manner, and get it in front of
your market.  You can do this on the front end or the back end which is to
say, that you can use the word of mouth to drive traffic to your Internet
site and more detailed info or you can use another means to drive traffic to
your site and the word of mouth to "close."

In addition, consider partnering with other kinds of companies in the space.
A big sign in a uniform or medical equipment retailer may get you allot more
inquiries than more costly forms of advertising.  Home health agencies?
Pharmaceuticals companies' local sales offices? All could be potential
partners to get your message out.

Hope the above was helpful (decipherable, even?)

David

David J. Simonetti
Projix Corporation
1601 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 803