AM: *Marketing Musings*

To:     "'marketing/advertising discussion group'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: *Marketing Musings*
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:42:15 -0500

                                        Marketing Musings
                                             February 23, 1998

                Visit and join the Netpreneur Program at http://netpreneur.org

                                                                Mitch Arnowitz
                                                                mailto:marnowitz@morino.org

------------------
In This Issue
------------------

- Quote of the Week
- Editor's Note
- Whats Happening In ad-market@netpreneur.org?
- News, Articles
- Links, Resources
- Meetings
- Surveys
- List News
- Subscription Info.

--------------------------
Quote of the Week
--------------------------

A former IBM advertising executive says online advertising will
require an entirely different marketing approach:  "The consumer
will be in total control.  We're moving from the era when the advertiser
controlled everything through broadcasting to what I call 'pull-casting'
-- where the consumer decides what he wants to see and when he
wants to see it."

------------------
Editor's Note
------------------

This week's issue of *Marketing Musings* is late and I apologize. I have
been having email problems and lost my work 3 times. Arrrgghhh  : (
On the good news front, this week's content is mostly from you!
A steady stream of advertising & marketing netpreneurs are writing in,
offering information and/or looking for help.

Keep sending in requests, comments, articles, dogtags, anything. Your
input gives our rag a local & relevant flair and improves my sleep patterns!
I started this newsletter with the hope that it would become a place in
space for regional folks to trade information, request help and assist each
other. As our group grows (and it is growing!), so does regional content-
this is good, thanks.

Whats Happening In Ad-Market?

The Informatics Institute recently posed a *Marketing Challenge* to the
group. The institute will shortly be providing a roll-up of responses received.
Bridget Robey needed help in locating a list of individuals who own or use
Progress Software products. Bridget received several responses and will
shortly provide a roll-up for the group.

did you know... that the first chapter of the new John Grisham novel,
"The Street Lawyer,'' will be delivered via e-mail to readers who request
it. To receive your excerpt by email:
http://www.bdd.com/bin/forums/grisham/

---------------------
News & Articles
---------------------

Ad Age has a timely article discussing how web publishers are getting
into commerce- "Web publishers morph into online retailers":

http://www.adage.com/interactive/articles/19980209/article1.html
        _______________________________
AOL recently purchased local netpreneur & search technology
company Personal Library Software  http://www.pls.com
        _______________________________
DoubleClick's IPO- ad network DoubleClick's recent initial public
offering issued 2.3 million shares for $17.00 per share. On their first
day of trading, shares pushed as high as $30.37 and closed the
session at $26.75.

Wired News has an interesting read on the viability of ad networks.
BTW, did you know that the top 10 sites drive 60% of ad revenue,
and most do it with an in-house sales dept.?

For the rest of the story:

http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/9228.html
        _____________________________
Boardwatch magazine http://www.boardwatch.com started out in 1987
as a list of bulletin boards. This magazine, available on the newsstand
and the web, is full of leading online editorial covering the Internet, World
Wide Web, BBSs, and the communications industry. Boardwatch is read
by Internet Service Providers, software developers and consultants.

The February issue's cover story; "A Cache and Carry Internet" features
Doug Humphrey (of Digex fame) and highlights many local netpreneurs.
There is also good information here on upcoming ISPCON show in
Baltimore.

The article:

http://www.boardwatch.com/MAG/98/Feb/bwm1.html
        _________________________________
Amazon.com recently announced that it's Affiliates Program
has 30,000 participants. In this program, Amazon pays sites for
referred business. Amazon payouts or commissions run as high
as 15%.

Amazon obviously isn't looking at profitability but is probably
very smart (at this point in the game) to be building marketshare
and long term relationships.

We have already seen others try to duplicate Amazon's successful
campaign, indeed affiliate or partner programs are the latest
marketing rage.

One local netpreneur, Electronic Newsstand http://www.enews.com
is building its own partner program with Be Free technology
http://www.befree.com. Be Free technology is responsible for
the Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com (the
other "world's biggest online bookseller"-is there a lawyer
in the house?) partner program. Enews.com sells discounted
magazine subscriptions via the web.

I have a couple of thoughts about Amazon success. It seems to
me that books go with any kind of site or service. I mean, there
is a book for *everything*. Can the same be said for other products
or services marketed online? It will be interesting to watch the
Toys.com affiliate program evolve with payouts of up to 25%.

Linking programs with payouts are also interesting from an
advertising perspective (vs. commerce). Will advertisers and sites
cut back or do away with banner ads, etc. in lieu of 15%+ payouts?

Instead of advertising, why not use your budget to pay a hefty
commission for referred business? Is this what the current direct
marketing campaigns on the web are all about?

I don't have the answers here but I do know that we should
watch partner programs closely, one day you may not want to
put together a marketing or advertising program without one.                    .
        _________________________________
Recent articles in DM News  http://www.dmnews.com:

1. "Web Advertising Calls for Marketing 101"

"The Internet gold rush is in full steam in the hi-tech arena. "There's gold
in them thar' hills" is the cry heard throughout hi-tech marketers' offices.
However, no one is exactly sure what hills, how far to dig or how much
gold will result from prospecting efforts"...

For the rest of this story:

http://web1.dmnews.infotech-nj.com/articles/1998-02-09/49.html

2. "Campaign to Boost Banner Response by Integrating Real-World Data"

"Intelligent Interactions hopes to prove that marketing with data gathered
offline can increase response rates in cyberspace with a test advertising
campaign for Preview Travel on The Motley Fool's Web site"...

For the rest of the story:

http://web1.dmnews.infotech-nj.com/articles/1998-02-16/211.html

*note- this is a targeted marketing test (begins 2/28)
by three local companies: two netpreneurs and a database/
segmentation company

3. "Federal Employees Are Becoming the Web's Most Active Buyers"

"The federal government invented the Internet, so it should not be
surprising that federal employees are among its most active users"...

The story:

http://web1.dmnews.infotech-nj.com/articles/1998-02-16/193.html

*note- this story highlights local netpreneur Electric Press
http://www.elpress.com/.

4. "Switch to SQL Pays Off for Surplus Direct"

"What a difference a year and Structured Query Language (SQL)
software can make. Before changing to SQL, Surplus Direct's Web
site became lethargic whenever it was in use by a large number of
people. The SQL software has increased both the number of
customers the site can handle at one time and its ability to maintain
a high level of response time"...

The story:

http://web1.dmnews.infotech-nj.com/articles/1998-02-09/79.html
        ___________________________________
P&G is using the WWW for product test marketing.
For a first hand view: http://www.dryel.com
        ___________________________________
Recent articles in The Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com

1. "Rewriting Job Titles: From Company Recruiter to 'Nerd-Rustler'-
a nice piece on technology titles, mentions local netpreneurs:

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/frompost/feb98/jobtitles13.htm

2. "AOL's Man With a Mission; Marketing Whiz Bob Pittman Is Out
To Make the Service A True Mass Medium":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/business/daily/feb98/15/aol.htm
        _____________________________
Symantec gets into SPAM trouble- Symantic, creator of my beloved
ACT! (maybe its time to finally throw in the towel & use full blown MS
Outlook for contact management), Norton Utilities, pcANYWHERE and
Norton AntiVirus got into trouble recently when it sent unsolicited
email to customers promoting its Web site builder, Visual Page.

Read all about how Symantec called the emailing a "procedural
oversight" and then tried to explain the company's *opt-out* email
policy:

http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10360.html

Better yet, visit an anti-SPAM newsgroup and get the real story at:

news.admin.net-abuse.usenet

*note- while you're in this newsgroup, check out the current
controversy on ISP Netcom
        _________________________________
Eastman Kodak Co. recently acquired 51% of local netpreneur
PictureVision, Inc. http://www.picturevision.com of Herndon.
PictureVision, Inc. is the leading US provider of digital imaging
services that allow photographs to be stored and sent over the
Internet.

Take a look at the product page:
http://www.photonet.com/

And then look at the American Greetings Online promotion:
http://www.greetingcard.com/pd/photocard.pd#top
        _________________________________
Speaking of pictures, CKS Washington D.C. recently unveiled
the Eckerd site  http://www.eckerd.com. The site is
actually three sites in one: eckerd.com, e-pharmacy.com and
e-photo. com. PictureVision technology & marketing
is behind Eckerd's e-photo site http://www.e-photo.com.
        _________________________________
A new ad auction house held its first auction this past week.
Adauction has a real time online auction system & a partnership
with IMGIS' AdForce 2.0. Over 30 sites already participate in
the service. I don't know how this service will do but I sure like
their site. Check it out:

http://www.adauction.com

-------------------------
Links, Resources
-------------------------

Inc. Online seems to have added content to it's *Guide
to Business Technology*
http://www.inc.com/technology/  .
This guide is broken down into several sections including
"read, connect, surf, compute, compare and learn." Maybe
I'm missing something here but resources offered here are
only fair and don't drill to deep.

One area I thought was useful was the "Biz Tech Index"
http://www.inc.com/technology/target/. Inc. Magazine
articles and (AOL) online chats are archived here. Several
of the articles archived are outdated but advice offered is
still relevant.
        _______________________________
The current Channel Seven NetTech Ad Awards Winner
(Internet Technology Ad Campaign Awards) is Exodus
Communications for the *How Much Bandwidth* campaign by
MediaSmith:

http://www.nettechad.com/nettech/index_nettech_nojava.html

BTW, while you are at Channel Seven check out the
*Audience Building Tool Kit*, located on the navigation bar
        _______________________________
FREE Marketing Help-

Bonnie Gardner has contacted our group and is looking to
donate her time to a couple of companies that need marketing
help. Bonnie is online editor for National Education Association's
online magazine; NEA Today Online
http://www.nea.org/neatoday/  .

Bonnie is also a Johns Hopkins business grad student & is looking
for an Internet/new media company or two to work with on two
marketing assignments.

One project would be a fairly short-term customer research study
with a time frame of mid-March and April.  The other project, her
final degree requirement, would be an in-depth, semester-long
effort, such as developing a full-blown marketing plan for a
company.

If your company is interested, or you want additional
information, please contact Bonnie directly at:
bgardner@nea.org.

------------
Meetings
------------

A full calendar of regional events can be found at:
http://netpreneur.org/calendar/calendar.htm

The Netpreneur Program
and The Smithsonian Associates are partnering on March 11
to present *Networking with the Netpreneurs*, a program
featuring four of the region's up and coming digital age
entrepreneurs:

SusanDeFife, founder & CEO of Women's Connection Online
Raul Fernandez, founder & CEO of Proxicom, Inc.
Nat Kannan, founder & CEO of University Publishing
Rob McGovern, founder & CEO of Career Builder

Last June, the Netpreneur Program *An Evening with the Barons*
and introduced you to Jim Kimsey, founder of AOL and Bill Melton,
founder of CyberCash.  March 11 is a kind of Barons
in Waiting -- netpreneurs who are taking their businesses to the
next level of success.

You can register online with the Smithsonian:

http://www.si.edu/youandsi/join/tsa/rap/otomar/net.htm

Or, you can register by telephone at 202/357-3030 on Monday
through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  When registering, the
code for the event is 1L0-815.  The event will be held at the
National Museum of Natural History and will be followed by a
wine and cheese reception.  The cost is $15.00.
        ____________________________
Public Relations In The Wired World

Technology is changing the rules of the game in public relations. The
explosion of communications over the Internet and other new electronic
media outlets are having an enormous impact on how, why and where public
relations is done. The 1998 Public Relations Society of America (PRSA)
Technology Section Conference offers a day-long event covering such topics
as Publicity And Media Relations On The Internet, International Public
Relations For High Tech Companies, Taking Your Organization's Web
Site To The Next Level and Crisis Communications In The Electronic Age.

Many of our fellow netpreneurs will be featured in panel discussions, including
representatives from Women's Connection Online, Proxicom, the Zeff Group
and TVontheWeb. In a luncheon session, the PRSA will present its Awards for
Excellence in Technology Journalism.

The conference is open to all and will be held March 20 at the Hotel
Washington on Pennsylvania Avenue. The cost is $150 for PRSA Technology
Section Members, $175 for PRSA Members and $200 for non-members. Those
prices go up $25 after February 20. Exhibit sponsorship opportunities are
also available. For more information visit:

http://www.prsa-ncc.org/techconf.html

----------
Surveys
----------

Boomerang Delivery Services, Inc.  http://www.yourtime.com, a
regional netpreneur, is doing some primary market research and
wants ad-market folks to fill out it's survey, found at:

        http://www.yourtime.com/needs.htm

Boomerang wants our folks to offer ideas on improving format and
content and also suggest ways to incent people to complete it's
survey. This start-up is using traditional off-line marketing and
partnering methods and is looking to our group to provide on-line
marketing expertise and ideas.
        __________________________________
A recent survey by Price Waterhouse says that 80 percent
of  global CEOs think electronic commerce will reshape
competition in their industries. For this survey, 377 CEOs
from North America, Europe and Asia were polled.
        _______________________________
Dun & Bradstreet has also done a recent survey- of small business
owners. This survey shows that small business interest in the
Internet is growing rapidly. 5% of small business owners surveyed
by D&B last year thought the Internet was an important tool. This
year's survey found 47 percent have access to the Internet and 35
percent maintain their own Web sites.

-------------
List News

Who says lists don't get immediate results?

I recently read that a high percentage of journalists (I think 50%)
are going to the Internet for information. The following
post was sent to the online advertising discussion list on behalf
of Rob Runett, by list moderator Richard Hoy (got that?).

I sent Rob a note, offering to post his note to ad-market. Rob's
response to me follows the original post. I thought Rob's
experience was interesting & wanted to pass it along: