AM: Other advertising income models?

To:     ad-market
Subject:     AM: Other advertising income models?
From:     jeffm@crosslink.net
Date:     Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:11:02 -0500

AMers-

I'd like to start a thread which may be for a
minority of list members/site publishers, but which I believe is of
interest.

Most of the recent discussion is about banners, sponsorships,
click-throughs, etc., but aren't there other income models under the
heading of "advertising"?   I'm developing a site offering to the public
information and other related services, but focusing on a database which
will help them select a specific type of product using their personal
needs and preferences.

 The plan is to recruit a client base (of many hundreds) whose product
details would be listed in the database, and who would be charged a
monthly fee (based on quarterly billing periods).  In many ways, the
advertising model would be parallel to publishing ads in a specialty
magazine which markets to a demographic/ interest group of consumers who
would benefit considerably by using a system which enables them to
choose from a large number of similar product offerings using
considerably detailed personal parameters.

I'd appreciate input from our netpreneurs with their wide-ranging
interests, experiences, and perspectives.

Thanks.

Jeff MacConnell
IDeal Destinations, Inc.
jeffm@crosslink.net