AM: RE[2]: Other advertising income models?

To:     "'jeffm@crosslink.net'" <jeffm@crosslink.net>
Subject:     AM: RE[2]: Other advertising income models?
From:     Terry Steichen <TerryS@DataFocus.com>
Date:     Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:57:03 -0500
Cc:     ad-marketing@netpreneur.org

Jeff,

What you're actually proposing is to create a virtual community, so I
strongly suggest you take a look at a book called Net.Gain.  It has lots
of (to me, anyway) insightful suggestions about how to do this most
effectively.  From that book, and from my experience, I think that this
is the right time and circumstance to do something like this.  The whole
idea is to get your clients to view your site as someplace they like to
visit and revisit on a regular basis.  What that takes depends heavily
on what kind of clients you want to attract.  One thing that I do
recommend is that you recruit from among your clients, 'evangelists'
who, through excitement about your topic focus, will add content
appealing to other clients (and which is unique to your site).  You can
give such evangelists special discounts or free access or whatever.

Advertising can be added later, once you've got the critical mass of
clients.  Depending on how well you do this, you can end up charging a
premium rate, and this could also be a good source of revenue.

Well, back to work.  Good luck.

Terry