AM: Re: Other advertising income models?

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Re: Other advertising income models?
From:     "Fleck" <fleck@morino.org>
Date:     Wed, 4 Mar 1998 13:40:35 -0500

Jeff:

It seems like the menu of advertising models is pretty well
established right now, and that what you might be looking for
is not necessarily a new ad model but an overall business
model that incorporates advertising options appropriately.

Would a "yellow pages" approach -- or some variation--
make some sense here?  It's a pretty familiar model-- list
everyone, then provide extra services to vendors/clients who are
willing to pay (or pay more).  Those services could include:
 -- higher placement in search results (might include some
    text formatting or an icon to further differentiate)
 -- rotation of banner ads keyed to search results or category-
    specific browsing
 -- client mini-sites-- basically a full page ad linked from the
    client entry

Obviously the yellow pages aproach would be just one part of
your model; it would probably make sense to have supporting
content (both web pages and email broadcasts, which could be
sponsored).  Transaction capabilities tend to follow naturally
from a vendor DB implementation.  The virtual community approach
that Terry Steichen mentioned is a possibility-- it's not appropriate
in every situation but can help you "lock in" your target audience
and make your site more atractive to vendors (I just attended a
virtual communities conference in February and would be happy to
share some thoughts with you).

The parallel you make to specialty magazines is interesting,
because they provide you with nice marketing channels.
If ad sales reps for those pubs are independent they may be able
to sell packages for your site as well.  The pubs themselves (along
with trade associations appropriate for your target audience) can
be used to drive eyes to the site.

Fleck
Steve "Fleck" Fleckenstein
Morino Institute/ Netpreneur Program