Re: AM: Re: Other advertising income models?

To:     Fleck <fleck@morino.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: Re: Other advertising income models?
From:     Jeff MacConnell <jeffm@crosslink.net>
Date:     Thu, 05 Mar 1998 18:55:58 -0500
CC:     ad-market@netpreneur.org

Fleck, et al;

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I'm pretty green at this, but I'll post
my responses to each of the points you mentioned (at least my recent
opinions, which are open to modification):

Fleck wrote:

> Jeff:
>
> It seems like the menu of advertising models is pretty well
> established right now, and that what you might be looking for
> is not necessarily a new ad model but an overall business
> model that incorporates advertising options appropriately.

I doubt that what I have in mind is "new", either.  As I mentioned, I think
of it as a pooling of ads, as in newspaper classifieds, but using a
searchable database to offer the public a truly useful service.

> Would a "yellow pages" approach -- or some variation--
> make some sense here?  It's a pretty familiar model-- list
> everyone, then provide extra services to vendors/clients who are
> willing to pay (or pay more).  Those services could include:
>  -- higher placement in search results (might include some
>     text formatting or an icon to further differentiate)

These are good points, and I may want to flesh out the basic service to
allow for some type of "premium services" for clients.

>  -- rotation of banner ads keyed to search results or category-
>     specific browsing
>  -- client mini-sites-- basically a full page ad linked from the
>     client entry

 One thing I want to avoid is supplying links to clients' sites, because
most of these are far too "graphical", taking too long to load, and the
searcher can get "lost" (or worn out) too easily.  I plan to offer a simple
disclosure of clients' URL's with the search results, so truly interested
people can view the sites if interested.

> Obviously the yellow pages aproach would be just one part of
> your model; it would probably make sense to have supporting
> content (both web pages and email broadcasts, which could be
> sponsored).  Transaction capabilities tend to follow naturally
> from a vendor DB implementation.  The virtual community approach
> that Terry Steichen mentioned is a possibility-- it's not appropriate
> in every situation but can help you "lock in" your target audience
> and make your site more atractive to vendors (I just attended a
> virtual communities conference in February and would be happy to
> share some thoughts with you).

I've referred to this client product database model as "Cooperative
Marketing", wherein all clients benefit by inclusion in and public exposure
to the data. So, if they have a web site  they will (I hope) post a link to
mine, similar to the "MSExplorer" or "NetscapeNow" type promotions.The
Virtual Community plan is more than a distinct possibility, (I guess I never
really knew the definition before).  As Mark Dorf suggested, asking truly
motivated people to "opt in" to receive "pushed" notices of new info which
fits their preferences is an excellent idea, and makes good sense.  I have
my hands full trying to get the basics organized and functioning, but
certainly that can be part of the "build-out"!

> The parallel you make to specialty magazines is interesting,
> because they provide you with nice marketing channels.
> If ad sales reps for those pubs are independent they may be able
> to sell packages for your site as well.  The pubs themselves (along
> with trade associations appropriate for your target audience) can
> be used to drive eyes to the site.

That's been part of my plan, along with other "partnering", or similar
"cooperative marketing" ideas.  The interest/affinity/demographic group I'll
need to reach is available through specialty pubs, so I hope to make some
mutual back scratching arrangements with them as well.

Thanks again for the great feedback. I hope to get more responses about
these ideas ....anyone?

Jeff MacConnell