AM: Marketing Musings

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Marketing Musings
From:     Jpierobon <Jpierobon@aol.com>
Date:     Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:13:26 EST
Cc:     marnowitz@morino.org, Jpierobon@aol.com

To AMers who are experienced or aspiring worthsmiths--

The growing critical mass of technology companies throughout the greater
Washington area deserves a moniker that can help crystallize the excitement
and give the region it's own cultural identity as a hotbed of enterprising
innovativness and creativity.  Ergo, I'm calling on all who are reading this
to send your nominations (per Mitch's instructions) to me, Jim Pierobon, at
jpierobon@aol.com

A few observations and some background:  1) Let's try not to use anything with
"Silicon" in it.  That would automatically label us a takeoff of the Valley.
2) Be aware that leaders at The Greater Washington Board of Trade and the
Greater Washington Initiative think any such moniker could undermine the
variety of technology pursuits sprouting throughout the area.  At one point,
they were considering "Net Plex" but abandoned  it. 3)  FYI, look at how LA is
trying "Digital Coast" and how SF is expermenting with "Multimedia Gulch."  4)
Perhaps "Potomac Knowledgeway" could work.  But I think we'd all rather not
use what deserves to stand out on its own.  If its presumed owners at the
Morino Institute would be willing, then perhaps that's an option down the
road.

In the mean time, let's draw on our collective cyber instincts and see what we
can come up with.  Onward!