Re: AM: Email list content dilemma

To:     Brian Alpert <balpert@telogy.com>
Subject:     Re: AM: Email list content dilemma
From:     "Daniel B. Nickell" <dnickell@netinc-usa.com>
Date:     Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:39:18 -0500
CC:     ad-market@netpreneur.org

First, my impression is that your list reflects the makeup of Internet
users in general and, consequently, the decision-making managers (vs.
the more technically oriented engineers) are under-represented on the
'Net.

Second, one might think that, in the context of enlightened
self-interest, managers/decision-makers would want to keep abreast of
new technical developments and new products that would make them more
productive and successful.  Unfortunately, a lot of these
decision-makers often insulate themselves from new information to keep
from a real or an imagined deluge of junk mail from innovators.

You *do* have a dilemma.  The only way around it, as I see it, in your
communications with decision-makers, is to appeal to their sense of
enlightened self-interest and to show them how membership on your list
is going to improve their profitability and not junk up their mailbox
with detail they don't need or want.

Dan Nickell
NET, Inc.