AM: Email list, cont'd: 2 lists or not 2 lists?

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Email list, cont'd: 2 lists or not 2 lists?
From:     Brian Alpert <balpert@telogy.com>
Date:     Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:51:28 -0500

All --

I appreciate Rosalind's comments (and all the responses I've gotten so
far of
course). I know that on the surface the two list option seems like the
answer
(it has been suggested by others as well). I don't however believe it is
the
right approach for Telogy's, or our user's needs. I think combining the
content
is the answer, with summaries. I believe this is the best for the users,
not
just for me or my company.

Here's why:

This decision is in part based on new information, not in my original
note. The
audiences aren't actually as mutually exclusive as I thought, a fact
that has
come to my attention in discussing the issue with some of our people.
The
management audience is peripherally inovlved in technical spec, and the
engineers are (more than I would have thought) interested in how their
technical world applies to higher-level corporate application. According
to my
sources (who are in product mgt., but who have engineering background)
they
welcome, to a limited extent (an important coloring, esp. as I'm
generalizing)
information regarding how their 'stuff' becomes part of the
marketing/mgt.
strategy.

In addition, combining both types of info be will save the engineers
some
effort in having to explain from scratch how the technical information
relates
to their products, which is part of their process as recommenders to
mgt.

Also important to note that the newsletters won't be voluminous
documents.
They'll be "one-pagers" (whatever that means in this context!), with
url's
included whenever possible, so we won't be presenting an overwhelming
document.

Another real world consideration that is about to come into play is that
while
I have a lot of info as to who-is-who right now, we're going to add a
simplified 'subscribe to our list' feature on the homepage. This should
boost
our readership, but I won't have the kind of detail as I have for the
others
who have joined the list by filling out a lengthier email form.  Those
forms
will still be available, so we'll continue to get some complete info,
but this
too is an impt. consideration.

--BA