AM: Fw: Telogy's list quandary

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Fw: Telogy's list quandary
From:     "Marilyn Daly" <marilyndaly@earthlink.net>
Date:     Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:44:35 -0500

All,
I inadvertently sent my message below directly to Mitch rather than to the
group.  My apologies!
Although Brian's latest message appears at face value to negate my
suggested approach, I would encourage him to test run several specific
examples with his Product Manager to validate the one list approach.  What
is important here is not just a difference in content for the two audiences
but a difference in how one communicates that content.  Business and
marketing "types"  have a very different way of communicating--they use
(and expect) marketing jargon, and appreciate a much more top down
approach.  My experience with technical "types" is exactly the
opposite--they hate jargon, want just the facts and understand a bottom up
rather than top down approach.
I know that one list/newsletter is much easier and less resource intensive
but I still believe that it will be less effective.
Marilyn Daly
GlobalFOCUS--Technology  Marketing & Public Relations
12325 Old Canal Road
Potomac, MD 20854
tel: 301 996-8475
fax: 301 279-5715 (call first please)
web: home.earthlink.net/~marilyndaly

----------
> From: Marilyn Daly <marilyndaly@earthlink.net>
> To: Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
> Subject: Re: Rosalind Resnick weighs in on Telogy's list quandary
> Date: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 11:40 AM
>
> All,
> I have been reading your discussion with interest and must agree with
> Rolalind that a targeted approach (separate lists) would work best.  My
> experience is that the technical audience is put off by "marketing speak"
> and the more business-oriented audience is equally disinterested in the
> "bits and bytes".
>
> Of course, the problem with needing two lists raises the obvious issue of
> resources. I would opt for short but focused material for each group in
> order to keep them interested (and coming back for more!).
> Marilyn Daly
> GlobalFOCUS--Technology  Marketing & Public Relations
> 12325 Old Canal Road
> Potomac, MD 20854
> tel: 301 996-8475
> fax: 301 279-5715 (call first please)
> web: home.earthlink.net/~marilyndaly
>
> ----------
> > From: Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
> > To: ad-market <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
> > Subject: AM: Rosalind Resnick weighs in on Telogy's list quandary
> > Date: Tuesday, March 24, 1998 6:50 AM
> >
> > Brian, et al-
> >
> > Enclosed is Rolalind Resnick's response to our current (email)
> > list discussion. Rosalind runs the well known opt-in email list
> > company; NetCreations http://www.netcreations.com. Rosalind
> > is an expert in list marketing.
> >
> > It looks like Rosalind is in favor of Brian offering 2 lists, 1 for
> > managers and 1 for engineers. Read the enclosed conversation
> > from the bottom up, Rosalind's comment is interesting.
> >
> > Are Brian's problems solved? Comments? Thoughts?
> > ______________________________
> > Mitch Arnowitz
> > mailto:marnowitz@morino.org
> >

> > Rosalind replied:
> >
> > > As I said, I think the answer is to give the visitors to his site the

> > > opportunity to choose which list they'd prefer to join. After all,
> > > it's the consumer who rules on the Net, not the marketer or content
> > > producer.
> >
> > > Rosalind
> >
> > > From:          "Mitch Arnowitz"
> > <marnowitz@morino.org>
> > > To:            <rosalind@netcreations.com>
> > > Subject:       Re: a question from Netpreneur Program's ad-marketing
> list
> > > Date:          Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:40:47 -0500
> >
> > > Thanks Rosalind.
> > >
> > > This Netpreneur wants to use the same list and needs to
> > > appeal to both engineers and decision makers. Any quick
> > > words on how he might do this?
> > >
> > > Mitch

> >  Rosalind Resnick

marketing/business