Re: AM: Advertising sales channels, broadly defined

To:     "Francis V. Costello" <francis@smip.com>
Subject:     Re: AM: Advertising sales channels, broadly defined
From:     Jim Harmon <jharmon@telecnnct.com>
Date:     Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:50:27 -0400
Cc:     ad-market@netpreneur.org

Francis V. Costello wrote:

> Mitch and I were discussing ad sales efforts this morning at Coffee
> and Doughnets, and the topics we were covering sounded like they would
> make an interesting thread here - so I will kick it off.

As always, I'm sorry I missed the C&D Session.... what an amazing way to
build communications and contacts!

Anyway, TTCi (The Telephone Connection) is not currently placing ads, or
offering public web pages.  We do plan to down the road.

I'm "jumping in" to this thread for 2 reasons.

First, as a major portion of my work administering TTCi's internal
systems (and IntraNet), I browse the Web between 1-3 hours a day.  I
want to know the best way to approach webspace advertising for TTCi, so
this is a natural place to be to see what's working and what isn't...

Second, as a Browser on the Web, and as a user of the Internet for
several years prior to the Web itself, I'm in the awkward position here
of being one of the consumer browsers who get innundated with ads and
"forced clickthroughs" in many of the sites I visit.

Some advertisers have used JAVA and JAVAScript to pop open page, after
page of advertising, comprised of dozens, even hundreds of banners, each
openning of pages registering "clickthrough" service, and utterly devoid
of meaningful content....

Others JAVAScript 3-4 banners on a single page with dozens of frames of
animation per banner, which --even on 128K ISDN-- makes browsing slower
than molassas.

In my -personal- opinion, advertising designers for the web need to
limit the number of animated banners that appear on a single page or
frame to (1) or (2) per page, and "clickthrough" counting should never
allow for registering "JAVAScript" created page viewings.

--
   Jim Harmon                           The Telephone Connection
jim@telecnnct.com                          Rockville, Maryland