AM: Marketing to teen girls

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Marketing to teen girls
From:     lauraww <lauraww@ibm.net>
Date:     Thu, 23 Apr 1998 17:02:55 -0400

Mitch mentioned at the Netpreneur event this morning that there was some
interest in my earlier post about the teen girl market, e-commerce, and
credit card transactions
for this market segment.

I'd like to continue the conversation but broaden the thread a bit.

First, a brief description of the Web-based business that I've been
referring to.  The site is a lively, engaging, and sophisticated
entertainment, information and community-oriented website for middle
school and high schools girls.
The site plans to position itsef as a portal site for teenage girls.
One of its consistent themes will be to encourage girls in math, scienc,
computers, and sports.

The site, which is seeking early stage funding, is currently exploring
several revenue options.  At least in part, the site intends to be
supported by ads.  E-commerce is
another option, but as Neil Harris indicated in his post, kids don't
have access to credit cards on a routine basis.  Another option is to
seek out strategic partnerships with partners that are targeting this
key demographic and might want value-added content to bundle with other
product offerings.

What's the list's reaction to these options for this
niche market?  Every survey has indicated that the teenage girl market
(with lots of disposable income) is enormous and growing; with more and
more teen girls logging onto the Web, the online market also has huge
potential.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Regards,

Laura Weiss