AM: Advertising sales channels, broadly defined

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: Advertising sales channels, broadly defined
From:     Gary LaFever <garylafever@ibm.net>
Date:     Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:01:33 -0700
CC:     Susan DeFife <sdefife@ibm.net>

Our experience with DoubleClick was that their model is predicated
firmly on numbers of  "eyeballs" or raw impressions with some
recognition for distinctive demographics.  That probably works for many
sites on the web (and is arguably the "traditional" web ad model), but
we found they could not get the same cpm we could when we sold directly
AND that they were selling to ad agencies, who have more limited budgets
and flexibility to pay premiums for niche sites, while we speak directly
to marketing departments of advertisers who have corporate directives to
penetrate the "high end women's market - women business owners and
professionals" giving them more flexibility on terms, pricing, etc.  We
really liked the people at DoubleClick - very professional - but their
model was not consistent with ours so we are in the process of "breaking
up" - we'll "be friends" of course.  If your site is not so tightly
focused you should definitely give them a try (they typically prefer
sites with at least 1M impressions/month).
--
Gary LaFever, Sr. VP
www.womenconnect.com