AM: AdAuction

To:     ad-market@netpreneur.org
Subject:     AM: AdAuction
From:     "Francis V. Costello" <francis@smip.com>
Date:     Fri, 01 May 1998 10:16:57 -0400

In my post last week I mentioned adauction as one sales channel and said I
would report back on our results.

We sold the majority of the inventory we put up for sale at a reasonable
CPM.  Better than what we have seen as the effective CPM for click through
or other Cost per action deals and comparable with the "run of network"
CPMs ad networks claim they will fill out your network with if the rate
card banner ads are not sold.

I recognize some of the concerns mentioned by Mark Dorf regarding
"cheapening" ad inventory with this sales channel, but as a smaller company
our need to generate immediate revenue is more acute than a digital city.
I hope to avoid offering consistent inventory on the adauction system so it
really is only expiring inventory, not something a media buyer can expect
to pick up at will.

On other options, in addition to the networks and rep firms mentioned we
are talking to Narrowline NMX, who provides a different type of market for
ads along with demographic surveying support as part of the package.  I
would be interested to see if anyone on the list has worked with them and
has any comments, positive or negative.

Francis Costello
Smip Interactive, Inc.

 -- www.smip.com