AM: Knowing Someone

To:     "'netpreneurs@netpreneur.org'" <netpreneurs@netpreneur.org>, "'marketing/advertising discussion group'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Knowing Someone
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Fri, 1 May 1998 18:48:01 -0400

Bob, et al-

Thanks for collecting thoughts & getting the ball rolling
here! Off-line get togethers are a good idea and an
indicator of the opportunity here in WDC for all of us.
Several in our ad-market discussion group have also
suggested the idea of getting together off-line.

The ad-market group is currently planning an off-line
mixer type networking session to bring WDC
ad-market folks together to meet, greet & mingle.
We should discuss the organization of this event.
Should we have tables with flags, identifying areas
of interest? Or... is it enough to pull everyone
together, see what transpires.

So that you know, I am still lining up a speaker to
kick off the evening. I hope to have him/her nailed
down shortly. I'll then forward details, date, location,
etc. Lets definitely plan on discussing smaller group
get togethers at this mixer.

Getting together in focused, smaller groups is also
interesting. It might be useful for you to consider
participant needs and value offered. Meaning...
it might be enough for you to pull small groups
together (in the adv., marketing world) to discuss
general topics such as advertising and/or marketing,
promotion, PR, etc.

On the other hand, it might be useful for you to
consider specific topics of discussion. Topics in the
net ad-market world might include:

* selling inventory- affiliate networks, rep firms,
banner networks, in-house, auction?

* effective email, list marketing

* creating & maintaining profitable net relationships
(revenue share, etc.): why, who, cost, the deal

* ad model or transactions as streams- do either
make sense? (CPM, pay for performance,
click through)

Bob, you might want to check out the ad-market
group: http://netpreneur/org/connect/am. Many
of the folks that you mention participate in this
growing group of regional advertising, marketing
types.

AMA-DC, New Media Society members already
participate. You might check out the AMA-DC
high-tech SIG, they were quite involved in pro-
moting the winter series you referenced. Let me
know if you need contact info.

I received an email this week from an ad-market
list member that posted to the AM group & was
then approached by NMS for a speaking engage-
ment.

As a starting point, you might determine who is
interested in smaller adv., marketing group get
togethers and what the needs might be. You can
then possibly pull together meetings around those
interests. I will be happy to collect and hold for
you the names of folks interested in getting
together in smaller groups.

* If you are interested in attending smaller
(advertising/marketing) meetings please drop me
a note mailto:marnowitz@morino.org that includes
areas of interest. For the sake of everyone's
in-box, please don't post to the list, but to me
privately.

Bob, one advertising group has already gotten
together- perhaps you can use this group as a
model.

Thanks-

Mitch Arnowitz
mailto:marnowitz@morino.org