AM: RE: Customer Acquisition via the Web

To:     "'brobins@merlin.netresponse.com'" <brobins@merlin.netresponse.com>
Subject:     AM: RE: Customer Acquisition via the Web
From:     Terry Steichen <TerryS@DataFocus.com>
Date:     Wed, 13 May 1998 09:23:52 -0400
Cc:     "'ad-marketing@netpreneur.org'" <ad-marketing@netpreneur.org>

Bill,

"Migrating to a subscription model" is a major life-or-death process for
an online publication (particularly if, as you indicate, ad revenue
isn't helping much).  Many (most?) do not make the transition
successfully.  When my clients and companies make this move, we focus on
retaining our existing customer base.  To try to expand that base at the
same time seems a bit ambitious.

I've also learned that there is no singular 'subscription model'.
Rather, what you have before you are a potentially large number of
pricing options.  Depending on the e-commerce capabilities of your
underlying software, you may be able to offer various mixes of free/paid
content at various discounts (tailored to suit key segments of your
target market).

All that is pretty general, but then again, I don't know much about your
business.  If you'd care to provide more details (through the list or,
if you prefer, privately), I'll try to give you more specific thoughts.

Terry Steichen