Re: AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web

To:     brobins@merlin.netresponse.com, ad-marketing@netpreneur.org
Subject:     Re: AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web
From:     Aarupertus <Aarupertus@aol.com>
Date:     Wed, 13 May 1998 13:18:20 EDT

In my opinion an off web, drive to web campaign, is the ticket to get people
to the site.  Then if the site is well designed, easy to navigate and provides
value - you got 'em.

Whether it be on the side of a bus, near the metro, on a strategically placed
Go Card, via "newsworthy" articles in the Wash. Post and other nationwide
publications,  you have to Drive Them To Your Site.  I think seeing the URL
outside of the web is imporant.  NPR and other radio  may be good if people
can remember the url, or are able to jot it down.

With banners constantly blinking at a site visitor, they undoubtably ignore
some of them if they want to get to the "meat" of the site.  But, if they see
the same web site url flashed at them - off the web, it almost seems out of
place, catching them out of the web environment and off guard.  If the ad is
intriguing and the url easy to remember, it will undoubtably drive them to the
site to investigate next time they are on the Web.

For instance, I have heard about sidewalk.com for months, yet never really had
the "time" to visit it.  Until...I saw the url on the side of the bus. Next
time I was on the web I made sure to visit sidewalk.com.  Along the same
lines, everyday at my gym I get my cup of coffee at the cafe where there is a
strategically placed Go Card Display.  If there is a website or another
interesting business/show/product shown, I grab one of the cards and "go"
visit the related site to investigate as soon as I have a chance.

Also, intruiging and creative DM can drive people to your site.  My former
company, Image Communications, did a great job a few years ago developing the
"sign on a friend" campaign for AOL.  The response rate was and I believe
still is remarkable.

Amy Rupertus Peacock
Virtualathlete.com