FW: AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web

To:     "ad-marketing@netpreneur.org" <ad-marketing@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     FW: AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web
From:     Tom Billington <tbillington@morino.org>
Date:     Thu, 14 May 1998 02:47:23 -0400

  Here are two ways to generate revenue for publications.  Just a little
background:  I worked for eight years at Phillips Publishing and Reader's
Digest, the world's largest newsletter and magazine publisher respectively.

1.  SITE LICENSES.  Some newsletter publishers, particularly in the
business-to-business space, have found site licenses to be effective.  Site
licenses are effective for a publisher because the distribution costs are
very low and the price that can be charged to a single large company is
often very high, sometimes above $100,000.  That company would then
distribute the publication to its employees.  The problem is that it takes
a while for the companies to pay up, since the sum required for the service
is so high.  This longer-than-usual pay-up period sometimes makes
publishers nervous.  But overall, once the large companies get over the
nervousness of large up-front payments, this business model can work well.

2.  EDITORIAL.  This second point hits at how do you get subscribers.  This
is an indirect answer to Bill's question.  The way to sell an existing
publication- most effectively online or offline is to target very closely
the essential needs of the customers, meet those information needs and then
promote that you're meeting those needs.  This may sound obvious, but it's
important.  In business-to-business newsletters, the audiences typically
are much smaller than in consumer publications.  So most of the major
players know each other, talk and schmooze.  If your newsletter can create
a "buzz" with exclusive information that really provides essential
information for an executive about trends, competitors, acquisitions, that
person is bound to subscribe.  The technology becomes secondary, because
the executive is really interested in the content, whether it be online or
offline. Since the renewals are the lifeblood of newsletters, as Linda
points out so well, the editorial really must sell itself.

  FYI:  I will be speaking about the "Seven Steps to Breakthrough
Newsletters" on May 31 at the Newsletter Publishers Association conference
and will touch on some of these issues later this month there.

  Hope this adds the discussion, Bill, Linda and Amy...

  Thanks.

Tom Billington, Advisor
The Potomac KnowledgeWay's Netpreneur Program
1801 Robert Fulton Drive, Suite 550
Reston, VA  20191
703/620-8971, ext. 118
tbillington@morino.org