Re: FW: AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web

To:     Bill Robins <brobins@merlin.netresponse.com>
Subject:     Re: FW: AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web
From:     "Melissa MacKinnon @ superSonic BOOM" <melissa@superSonicBOOM.com>
Date:     Fri, 15 May 1998 16:08:32 -0700
CC:     "tbillington@morino.org" <tbillington@morino.org>, "ad-marketing@netpreneur.org" <ad-marketing@netpreneur.org>, Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>, Nancy Swanson <nswanson@netpub.thompson.com>, Terry Steichen <TerryS@DataFocus.com>

Hi Bill.

Thoughts on radio:

Internet users are typically very busy people.  They don't have as much time to sit and
read a whole paper or to watch the television for hours.  But your audience does want
to keep abreast of the news.  WTOP is news practiclly 24 hours a day.

Also, for the investment, radio is extremely effective.  With the same budget, the
frequency achieved with a radio schedule is far greater than that of a high-calibur
newspaper or TV campaign.  In order for people to remember who your company is, what
you do and how they can find you - frequency is essential.

Equally important, yo want to make sure you rmessage is actually heard.  With news
radio stations, like WTOP, , people are listening intently for information.  The
commercial breaks are short - which is key for retaining the audience (not 12 minute
long like on Howard Stern, so people change stations while the ads are on).

Radio ads are easy.  With an ad campaign , the station will produce a commercial for
you (no extra charge).  They produce more basic ads (e.g. straight reads), which are
actually very effective on news radio stations.

Also, if you look to see when the majority of people use the Internet, it is during the
day - while at work (except for young kids).  Most people (especially in Washington)
have internet access at work.   You wan to catch these people while they are driving to
work, so that when they get there, they can log on and find you.  Driving to work is a
great time to catch people when they are in their "serious/work" mode - contemplating
things they have to do that day, etc.

I have personally seen WTOP do wonders for many small, medium and large companies.
Their advertisers and audience are both very loyal.

Take care,

Melissa MacKinnon