AM: RE: Advertising on the Internet: Next meeting

To:     "'Andrew Forbes'" <andrew.forbes@redbridge.com>, ad-market <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: RE: Advertising on the Internet: Next meeting
From:     Terry Steichen <TerryS@DataFocus.com>
Date:     Sun, 17 May 1998 22:23:20 -0400

Andrew,

For determining the effectiveness of web-based operations, I can't think
of anything more important than keeping track of (a) where the people
that visit your site came from, (b) what parts of your website they
(apparently) found most appealing, (c) when and in what volume they
visited (did it coincide with a promotion), and (d) how often they tend
to return.  As to other details such as identity (which you can really
only get if they register) that depends heavily on your policy
re:registration.

As to the effectiveness of available tools, they can truly do wonders
with log files, especially if they offer features that add additional
details to the log entries.  But most systems are pretty primative in
terms of session management, so there are limits.

I for one would enjoy participating in a face-to-face discussion on
this, but alas, no, I don't know of a quiet backroom in a bar or
restaurant.

Terry Steichen