AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web

To:     ad-market
Subject:     AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web
From:     glafever@womenconnect.com
Date:     Mon, 18 May 1998 09:27:32 -0400

Linda, thank you for the kind reference to Women's
Connection Online (we're migrating to our URL as our
tradename, Womenconnect.com - that way, we don't have
to count on someone including our URL in a story, etc. to
get traffic!).

On the subject of customer acquisition, we have grown traffic
to our site by 3000% over the last year without paid advertising
- we work with women business owner/professional women
associations to publicize ourselves through their existing
meetings/publications (thinking outside of the box may identify
strategic associations that other sites could work with to increase
traffic) - we offer them a free presence/visibility/links on our site in
return for the publicity; we also agressively search the Web for
relevant sites with whom we can cross-link (again with a focus
on nonprofits - you have to be careful about giving free links to
commercial sites since you can gut your advertising revenue),
lastly, we issue regular content/press releases on what's coming
next week, etc. on our site - they have started to be picked up by
NetGuide, MSNBC, Pointcast and others.

On the revenue side, we do sell advertising on our site but that
only accounts for 1/2 of our revenue projections - we believe in a
balanced revenue plan - we shoot for 1/4 revenue from affiliate-
based e-commerce programs (e.g., 1-800-Flowers, Barnes &
Noble, etc.) and 1/4 from affinity programs that we develop jointly
with partners (e.g., our co-branded ISP offering with IBM, our
discount brokerage services with National Discount Brokers, etc.)
- although we think the affinity programs could be the real sleeper
and actually out perform the others.  Hope this is helpful!
--
Gary LaFever, Sr. VP
Womenconnect.com