AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web- The Fool responds

To:     "'marketing/advertising discussion group'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: Customer Acquisition via the Web- The Fool responds
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Thu, 21 May 1998 15:29:02 -0400

Hi Mitch,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you - a few things came up
yesterday that I had to deal with and I couldn't respond sooner.

I read through messages you sent and have a couple of thoughts off the top
of my head on the situation, although it is quite different than what the
Fool faces because we are coming from different directions.  In trying to
generate subscriptions, there are two things that we know do not work:
banners ads and random e-mails to large lists.  We have found success,
judged both by increased subscription numbers and no-to-low cost, by giving
"teaser" content to other websites with a prominent link to a subscription
page (It should be noted that teaser content has to have its own inherent
value to be effective).

It is not revolutionary that in order to get people to pay for content, you must
get them to want the content.  To do this, the easiest (and cheapest) way is
to offer a sample.  The websites you choose must be carefully selected to
reflect the market you are trying to reach -if you write on financial markets,
you want to be on financial sites.

The good thing for companies like The Motley Fool is that well-written
content is in high demand on the Web.  In effect, the Fool gets paid to
advertise because the sites we license content to shares revenues with us.
We have even had success selling subscriptions to a weekly product that
simply reprints what we offer for free on the Web and sends it out in an
e-mail -people are paying strictly for convenience.  This type of product
can only work when readers are hooked on the content.

Site licenses to universities makes sense to me - I would give a subset of
the content to the universities for free, using it as a vehicle to gain
subscriptions for the full product.  If you are not charging them for the
content, then the deal can be structured in such a way as to drive traffic
to the sign-up pages.  There is a very large untapped audience of
web-connected users at universities.

Generating a decent community that is self-sustaining is tough and a
labor-intensive project.  There is more to it than just providing the means
- the area must be seeded by the hosts.

Offline promotion and advertising, in my opinion, is crucial.  We have had
much success with offline advertising and can see spikes in traffic on the
days that ads run.  Of course, keeping true to our model, we do not pay for
advertising.  Instead, we struck a deal with UPS to syndicate a newspaper
article in 130+ newspapers nationally.  We have seen that there is not a
major disconnect between mediums.

I hope the above helps although I do realize that the Fool is in a unique
position and this may not apply to the site in question.

Foolishly,

Bernie Dietz
Business Development
The Motley Fool