AM: *Marketing Challenge* #4- The Training Place needs to find its customer

To:     "'Ad-marketing'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     AM: *Marketing Challenge* #4- The Training Place needs to find its customer
From:     Mitch Arnowitz <marnowitz@morino.org>
Date:     Tue, 26 May 1998 12:23:36 -0400

Folks-

Periodically, the Ad-marketing group runs *Marketing Challenges*.
All of us face advertising and marketing issues and opportunities.
*Marketing Challenges* offers fellow netpreneurs the opportunity
to ask for your input and advice. In past challenges, participants
have been pleased with our input- thank you.

Enclosed is our current *Marketing Challenge*. This *Marketing
Challenge* is actually part of a new, larger Netpreneur initiative
called Business Challenges. Business Challenges bring
netpreneurs and experts together off-line to help a company
address issues, opportunities and problems.

Explanation of our input and the Business Challenge process:

Ad-marketing will first focus on the marketing side for this
company; The Training Place. Then our sister discussion group;
"Talk the Talk" will take the challenge off-line, focusing on the
business side or problem for The Training Place.

For this challenge, please respond to the list:
ad-market@netpreneur.org.

Lets see if we can help Russ Williams & The Training Place
out. Russ has also agreed to hold comments and summarize
for the group.

Have a *Marketing Challenge* you need help with? Send it in
to: mailto:marnowitz@morino.org. Thanks again for your input!

______________________________
Mitch Arnowitz
mailto:marnowitz@morino.org

*MARKETING CHALLENGE*

the company:

The Training Place Inc. is a leading developer of interactive soft
skills Web based training courses for the corporate marketplace, with a
focus on topics in Leadership, Marketing and Management.  The Train-
ing Place's Web based training courses are convenient training solutions
for employees, allowing them to progress through the training at their
own pace, from anywhere they have an Internet connection.

The Training Place's Web based training courses are convenient, cost
effective training solutions for companies, allowing them to provide
consistent training materials to a geographically dispersed workforce,
reducing travel and hotel expenses associated with traditional
classrooms, and improving employee productivity by decreasing their
time away from the office.

One of The Training Place's courses; the Marketing Technical Services
training course is currently in Beta. Our customer for this course
is 25-35 years old and college educated. He/she has responsibilities for
sales or marketing with a technical services or telecommunications
company.

the challenge:

One of the keys to our sales success will be the development of Web
site traffic from outside Web sites with users who fit the correct
customer target profile. We believe a relevant questions is, "How Will
We Find Our Customer?" On the Web, with the sheer volume of
potential customers, we know that a mass market approach will not be
effective as our courses are of interest to only a sub-set of the online
user population.

*How do we identify the right target population or customer for our
Marketing Technical Services training course? Also:

- what search methods or sources should we employ?
- are there relevant company sites that aggregate or act as portals
  for this customer?

Thank you very much-

Russ Williams russwill@tmn.com
The Training Place