Re: AM: *Marketing Challenge* #4- The Training Place needs to find its customer

To:     russwill@tmn.com, "'Ad-marketing'" <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: *Marketing Challenge* #4- The Training Place needs to find its customer
From:     Netcom <sferber@ix.netcom.com>
Date:     Thu, 28 May 1998 11:45:07 -0700

Russ,

Your challenge is the ultimate of all netpreneurs.  Fortunately, this
issue has been addressed EXTENSIVELY in the direct mail world, from
which I came.  I used to work for Capital One--they mailed 500 million
mail pieces a year (yes, it is a problem for the environment!) and their
whole "schtick" was "target, target, target."  I used to build new
businesses for them leveraging their competencies in information-based
marketing and overall information technology.

For what its worth, here are my own personal learnings from those and
related experiences:

1) The ability to target on the net is rudimentary compared to that of
mail, but it is increasing exponentially.  The key is to track
individual level information--few, if any firms, are doing this, but
they are coming about and I am tracking this development.  file my
e-mail address and I will give you updates on my findings as the days /
weeks go by if you like.

2) You will have to pay for the more targeted audiences.  Unfortunately,
few internet advertising firms actually offer "commission-on-sales" ad
opportunities for new companies--this would allow new cos. to take less
financial risk than the standard CPM for eyeballs approach that Yahoo!,
Doubleclick, etc. employ.  Advertising firms will have to start offering
more diverse payment algorithms or risk losing new clients who are
concerned about the type of traffic their banners might be getting.  I
am also tracking this development--same offer to send you updates on my
findings.

3) I also support earlier recommendations that you "ally" with sites
that bring relevant traffic in exchange for access to some content that
you might have.  This model is working all over the place.

4) Blasphemy: Most HR departments historically do NOT look for vendors
on the web--perhaps you should CALL target companies and setup face
meetings, or sell over the phone, or direct them to your web site.  Use
the more traditional MARKETING approach they are used to, but sell them
on your better delivery of the training product(s) (lower cost, work at
your own pace, work on your own time, etc.).

Hope this helps.  E-mail me if you like to discuss more.

Scott Ferber
Terra Ferma
sferber@ix.netcom.com