Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting

To:     BilodeauA@AOL.COM
Subject:     Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting
From:     "Daniel B. Nickell" <dnickell@netinc-usa.com>
Date:     Sat, 30 May 1998 12:59:40 -0400
CC:     ad-market@netpreneur.org

I think it will depend a lot on the content being sought.  If a 30-second ad
appears before what would otherwise be a pay-for-view site such as the Oxford
English Dictionary or comprehensive Dunn & Bradstreet company files, then sure,
I'll tolorate it and might even follow the ad and buy the product.  On the other
hand, if a 2-minute ad pops up ahead of a site with only marginal interest or
value to me, I'll (a) move right on to another site and (b) develop some internal
antipathy (resistance to buy from) toward the company/product advertising and,
perhaps, the site I was attempting to access.

(I wonder if they plan any sort of Cookie that would allow second or subsequent
visits to the site to bypass the ad.)

One effective application of the technology might be used by Dominos or Pizza Hut
where the ad could include a control that would bring up an order screen allowing
the visitor to order a home delivery before moving onto the site content.

Fast food has an known appeal to the 'typical' Internet user, so that might be an
effective application of the technology.  Whether it would do Macys or Clyde's
Cesspools any good, that's another question.