Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting

To:     <BilodeauA@aol.com>, <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting
From:     "Karen Dredske (http://www.kdinc.com) Creating a Better Future for You" <kdinc@mindspring.com>
Date:     Sat, 30 May 1998 14:26:42 -0400

I've been pretty much lurking on this newsgroup for a while. However, I
definitely have an opinion on this one.

The greatest draw on the WWW is that fact that the user is in control.
Users control where they go, what they see and what they want to see. For
the first time, companies are really having to be aware of the interests of
their viewers. When I read this, my first thought was....I love not having
to be bombarded with the normal advertisements like on TV--that's why I
prefer to surf the Web. If I ran into a site that had this kind of
advertising, I'd never go back there again. The biggest draw to me of the
Internet is that I don't have to deal with that "in your face" push
advertising that has been so prevalent in our lives.

I have been very happy to follow banner ads that were on a topic related to
something I was researching and have used those organizations' services.
However, it is my choice if I want to click to their site. The banner ads
are small enough that I can ignore them if I choose to. I personally hope
that it is not successful. I don't look for information on the Internet so
that my search can be "controlled."

Karen Dredske
Kaleidoscope Designs, Inc.
http://www.kdinc.com
karen@kdinc.com

----------
> From: BilodeauA@aol.com
> To: ad-market@netpreneur.org
> Subject: Re:  AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting
> Date: Saturday, May 30, 1998 10:40 AM
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'll pass this on without comment.  What do you think of the concept?
>
> - Anne Zieger
>

>  *****************
>  Press Bulletin
>  *****************
>
>  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>  see also:
> >http://www.icimpact.com
>

>  Major Fast-food Chain To Premiere Full-screen Internet Ads
>
>   At one time or another, web surfers have probably noticed the absence
of
> national brand advertising on the Internet. The answer to their curiosity
can
> be traced to the limitations of current space availability on the
Internet,
> the small banner ads.  "This type of advertising, the narrow banner ads
and
> the click-through methodology common to them, is not appealing to major
brand
> advertisers, " commented Tom Amon, CEO of IC Systems in Santa Ana, Calif.

>   But new technology has changed the face of Internet advertising
forever. A
> newly developed advertising technique, the IC (for Internet Commercial)
> Systems method, results in full-screen, broadcast-style advertisements on
the
> Internet. The first to premiere the ads is a national fast-food chain
whose
> advertising message will be delivered to a full universe of customers.
"The
> largest aggregate audience is on the Internet, " stated Curt Hutten,
President
> of IC Systems.  "Lack of a broadcast-style medium on the Internet has
denied
> the majors an opportunity to market to millions of viewers, users on the
'Net.
> Until now. "
>
>   The restrictions imposed by banner ads-and a knowledge of the
advertising
> industry and its trends-prompted IC Systems to develop a modern,
innovative
> method. IC perfected an ingenious, patent-pending technique to achieve
full-
> screen television-style advertisements that are sought by leading
marketers of
> soft drinks, fast-food restaurants, national department stores, mass
> merchandiser chains and other principal institutional-type advertisers.
>
>    "The Internet can now cater to and accommodate the 60 percent of
> advertisers in most print and electronic mediums, " Amon said, noting
that the
> majors have all but ignored Internet advertising due to the limitations
of
> banner ads.
>
>    "A few minutes of television viewing or a quick thumb-through of a
magazine
> tells it all, " Amon commented.  "Savvy marketers seek mediums that focus
on
> brand-identity, institutional-style ads that yield a lasting reminder of
> product name or feature. That's what sells products and encourages
customers
> to ask for specific brand names, " he stated.
>
>   Explaining the many benefits of the IC Systems advertising methodology,
Amon
> said that, for starters, IC ads offer the lowest possible CPM available,
the
> full universe of customers who are known to maintain product allegiance.
He
> said a user can't bypass the full-screen ad because of IC Systems' unique
> commercial firewall protection, and that no special programming is
required to
> existing content.
>
>   He explained that the IC ad technique is revolutionary in concept.
"The
> unique system substantially controls the viewing process when a viewer
links
> to an IC-controlled site. Before selected content can be accessed, a
> commercial message is displayed in a full-screen format. After the full
> commercial message has been executed, the user's intended content appears
on
> -screen. "
>
>   IC Systems satisfies a demand among major advertisers for a medium that
will
> effectively and efficiently achieve brand imaging, one that will offer a
low
> CPM.  "We'll attract the largest aggregate audience possible, " Amon
said.
> "At long last a modern Internet advertising model is available to large
> companies that prefer institutional style ads to enhance brand image, an
> ongoing challenge.
>
>    "In today's advertising industry, about 60 percent of advertising is
placed
> by major companies, such as Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, Taco Bell,
McDonald's,
> Sears and countless others. With the IC Systems full-screen,
broadcast-style
> ads, the Internet as a medium is on a par with television and print ads.
" In