Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting
From:     "Andrew Forbes" <andrew.forbes@redbridge.com>
Date:     Sat, 30 May 1998 22:37:28 -0400

I have two comments:

1) Unless there is very compelling content at the site, I'm going
to hit "Stop", go somewhere else, and never return the site that
attempted to jam a television style commercial down my throat; and

2) I find the quote "advertisers now have the ability to coordinate ad
campaigns between television and the Internet" misleading, because
they still won't know who (in a demographic sense) is seeing the ads.
This will make it tough to know which television shows on which
to buy ad time.

On a less bombastic note, I took a look at their web site. I noted
that:

1) Their "Spring '98" demo isn't ready yet; and
2) They've "filed" a patent application; and
3) They've "teamed" with a major (unnamed) advertiser

Spring's about over, anybody can file a patent application, and
anybody can claim to have teamed with a major advertiser. In a day
or two I can write server side code that will run down a thirty second
timer between responding to page requests from a client. So the
site visitor requests a page, I send them an ad page, and then I run
the timer down before sending them the content they actually wanted.

The web is so overloaded these days most popular sites do this anyway.
I really hope these people are not trying to patent making a web server
act like it's overloaded.

Maybe we should patent having the page request timeout.

In the process of trying to gather material together for the Advertising
on the Internet meetings, I've come across a fair number of people
that believe they're going to "change the face of advertising on the
Internet". This belief usually seems to be based on not understanding
advertising and/or the Internet and/or the behavior of Internet users.

Does anybody on this list know more about IC Systems than they've
posted on their web site? Perhaps the level of detail on the site is
so high level that I've misunderstood what they're really up to?

Andy Forbes