Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting

To:     <ad-market@netpreneur.org>
Subject:     Re: AM: The next Advertising on the Internet meeting
From:     "Terry Steichen" <tjs@huskynet.com>
Date:     Sun, 31 May 1998 15:03:02 -0400

A number of other list members (Andrew Forbes, Jim Harmon, Karen Dredske,
and others) have made some specific comments about this notion, all of which
are worth reading.  I'd like to take a broad perspective rather than dealing
with specific claims made supporting this notion.

The idea of blocking access to a site until an inserted full-screen ad is
loaded and displayed (let alone being inserted at time intervals) sounds
like a prescription for accelerating subscriber flight, rather than an
innovative new development, let alone the basis of a set of new patents.  I
keep thinking I'm missing something here, but I haven't found it yet.

The company promoting this approach claims that banner displays don’t work.
But that conclusion is contradicted by substantial research (check out some
of it at www.iab.net ) .  While a banner ad typically takes up only 10% of a
screen, it loads fairly quickly and persists fairly unobtrusively on the
screen while the other material is examined.   The company literature
promoting full-screen ads acknowledges that theirs is an ‘intrusive type of
advertising’ and that ‘viewers may well not warm up to the idea of a full
page commercials (sic) every 10-15 minutes.’  The justification it puts
forward to address this doubt is to, effectively, say that nothing else
works and, besides, their approach has a low CPM.  Hmm....

Terry Steichen

PS: I note that this website is not functional, and that – incredibly –
demos and reference sites can only be accessed by filling out a form (which
is supposedly restricted to ‘Press Only’).  Hmm……